Coughing is the body’s reaction to irritation and a way of removing foreign material or excess mucus from the lungs and upper airway passages.
Symptoms can vary depending on the type of cough.
Typically, a dry cough (also known as an unproductive cough) feels tickly and dry.
A chesty cough (also known as a productive cough) feels wet as excess mucus is expelled from the airways.
There are various causes of a cough, such as:
- Mucus from the nose running down the throat
- Inhaled irritants like smoke, dust, fumes, or foreign materials
A persistent cough or a cough that lasts several weeks may require advice from your healthcare professional.
To relieve your cough, you could:
- Drink plenty of water
- Keep the room at a comfortable temperature
- Rest and avoid heavy activity
- Avoid being around people who smoke
You could also use a Demazin product which temporarily relieves a cough.
Demazin Cough & Cold Relief Syrup
Suitable for: Children 6 years and over and adults. Use in children 6-11 years old only on medical advice.